Friday, July 25, 2008

It's another ~ Mother of the Year ~ day

It's another ~ Mother of the Year ~ day here at our home. It all started years ago when Pony Girl started swim lessons. She was 3 and petrified of the water. PETRIFIED! She did not want to get in and we ended up just trying again the next year---and the next and the next...until this year. She is 8 (almost 9) and suddenly she is a fish. I knew all along she would love it and she does -- it is hard to get her out of the water. Her swim instructor ask her to consider swim team next year--talk about a turn around. However, she is in level 2 of lessons (with Sweetums,) because she would not go off that silly diving board and pass on to level 3. So this year, as we started lessons at a new pool, I got it in my head that being with a group of 5 year olds and being almost 9 was over. I would not have a 10 year old in level 2 and a 6 year old in level 3. Good goal right? Man I surprise myself with my stupidity sometimes! Who cares what level a kid is in as long as they are learning to swim and having fun?!? Anyway, I knew Sweetums was going to pass and move on to level 3 and wanted to make sure Pony Girl did as well. So, I watched and encouraged as the diving board was introduced and all the other kids jumped off and jumped off and jumped off. Pony Girl would get up there and then turn around. Once I slowly lifted her down and she was fine with that, but refused to go off still. So, today, the day of the test, the day of the final chance to move on to level 3, she would not get up on the board. So gently I get her out of the pool and take her up to the board (I must add that she is yelling , "NO MOM! NO MOM! I CANT the entire way) I am telling her softly, "You are brave and you can do this. You are an amazing swimmer and will be just fine." We get to the end of the board and swoosh, I push her. Can you believe I did this? Me either. Looking back I am mortified....but, it gets better. I did it 3 times. YEP. The last time she was holding on to me so tight and I was talking in her ear and said, "Let go of me." She did and slipped into the pool all by herself. Yes, she did it! More reluctantly than anything and has vowed NEVER to go off again, and may never forgive me. I am not surprised. Would any of you---don't answer that question. So I am sopping wet (white shirt and all) and look like the meanest, most horrid mother in the world...BUT...I think---she did it, she passed level 2 and will move on. It was worth it. All the mom's staring at me, the instructor probably hating me and my nice wet shirt. SHE DID IT! So we go to get the pass/stay cards----there is no diving board on there---it is nowhere. It is not a prerequisite for this pool. I stare at it silently and think...,"WHAT?" Now when she never trusts me again, I got nothing, NOTHING for it but a wet t-shirt. And if you must know, on me, that is not even a glorious thing.

7 comments:

Eric & Dustha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynne said...

Congratulations to Adia - it's a great accomplishment. BTW - with all those people at the pool with their cameras you'd better check on-line to see if any pics of you in your white shirt surface. Bwahahaha!

Jackie said...

very funny lynne!

Eric and Dustha said...

I am sure that all will be forgotten soon enough and she will be glad you "encouraged" her.

Robin and Don said...

I hope you are saving all of these posts and making a journal. I did get quite a laugh at the story myself. She might not be laughing yet but I am sure this will be one of those stories years down the road mentioned at the dinner table as a funny memory.

Cory said...

You are soooo funny! We did almost the same thing to Wyatt - he just wasn't in lessons at the time.

Jackie said...

cory:
be glad you did not do it! I would not recommend it!I felt like an ass the entire next day and had a great cry, and then had to go to my daughter and apologize and talk.