Saturday, November 22, 2008

My Thanksgiving Day Contribution

I hate to cook. In both mine and my husbands family, I am the "sit on the couch while everyone else cooks but do the dishes afterward because this is a MUCH better job in my world" kind of girl. Once when I was in college, someone said to me, (put on stickiest, most condescending voice in your head possible please) "Oh, sweetheart, you can do it, all you have to do is try."

Now, I being the most gracious and diplomatic person ever, replied, (switch to your most obnoxious and condescending voice in head now...oh, and add a sneered face to make the moment complete,) " I never said I couldn't do it, I said I DON'T LIKE to do it."

Good huh! (Yaaaa, that is the me that is me.)

At Thanksgiving I am given the most meaningful and important jobs for the meal preparation! I am napkin girl, utensil coordinator, and my favorite: make sure the TV stays on this football game, gal.

Two years ago, someone made the mistake of asking me to be in charge of the all important, marshmallows on top of the yams, melting. As a well thought-out after thought, they asked my sister-in-law, Nickle Dime and Penny--who I will mention here---DOES cook, to supervise me. (HA)

Nickle Dime and Penny is awesomely fun! Always a hoot and a holler to be around. She is also the mother of two boys--one of which was a babe in arms that year. She rarely sits still, and is helpful to all in her path. It is with this disclaimer, that I remove her from the mishap that was.

I stuck the yam-olas in the oven and ya know...went away. EEEE GADS...A fire in sued. (Followed by "thank goodness your hubby is a volunteer fire fighter" jokes--haha, very funny!)

5 comments:

Becky said...

Awesome! Now that's what I call holiday spirit. (And you're right, candied yams are blech.)

Now, having said that, I must admit that I LOVE to cook, so I do. But I'm of the opinion that if you don't like to cook, don't force it. It will only make you resentful and bitter in the long run. And we all know that bitterness causes wrinkles. Just say no. :)

Marci said...

I'm laughing all the way to Walmart as I buy some cranberry sauce too!!! We are not going to Virginia, so now I have to cook Thanksgiving dinner. At least I already bought a turkey!

Holly said...

Ok, I think that it is ME that is the worst cook ever because I am still trying to figure out how cranberries turned into yams?!

Life with boys... said...

BLUSHING!!! (As I sit here on my doing nothing behind and reading blogs!!!HA) In your defense, Iw asn't doing my job very well as they were set on fire while I was standing near by and on a positive note, nothing was burned down!)

Oh so fun seeing you and being here, woohoo, I love it!

Dots said...

Ha ha.. I can relate to what you are saying.. I detest cooking myself..