Thursday, April 9, 2009

Cooking lessons from the BEST!

This being Easter weekend, I decided to engage my offspring in a fond childhood memory of mine:
Easter Egg Roll Offs!
I have tried this in the past, but they were too young to fully grasp the concept. But now...Now, Pony Girl is 9 and Sweetums is 6. So I say, "Let the good time ROLL...or eggs...whatever."

After decorating eggs, you individually go through all your eggs, inspecting and getting a feel for each one. Then you pick your prized egg. You convince someone that they indeed want to eat an egg, as shells WILL be a flyin', and find a nice open area on the floor. The two competitors then sit a few spaces apart and proceed to roll their eggs toward one another. When the eggs hit, whomever's comes out unscathed--ROCKS!!! The competition continues until one egg is smooshed to smithereens and is pronounced the LOSER! The winners egg is then re veered as the BEST, and put away for safe keeping until the next competitor decides to fall. I am seriously NOT kidding when I say I. LOVED. THIS. when I was young.

Oh, I was beyond excited to begin this today with my girls!!! I got a dozen eggs and put them on the stove to boil. I then did my famous and ever popular, "leave the room while I am cooking" move, and went to the basement to srap.

Three hours later...YEP, 3 hours later Little Man says, "Mom, it stinks down here."
I simply think..."HoHoHo, he is such a boy."
Nope, I did not clue in.
I kept on a scrappin'...until I smelled something. I then began to panic! I BOLTED upstairs to see what Little Man had put in the toaster as I totally blamed him! (Such a good mom aren't I!!)

Did you know that boiling eggs for three hours and some odd minutes does not make for good Egg Rolling game practices? Did you know that when you boil eggs for three hours they BLOW to smithereens ALL OVER? Do you know what eggs look like after they have been boiling for three hours? or what my stove, counter tops, above the stove fan, or my favorite pan I salvaged from Ashley's goodwill pile looked like after I did it?? Did you know blown up, burned eggs smell up a house better than a caged skunk? Do you know that Mr. KIR is going to be much displeased with me when he reads this?


Well, now you do...

14 comments:

All Things Frugal For You And Me said...

OH NO!!!!
You were not joking!
Well at least tomorrow's a new day right? LOL I can't even imagine how bad that smells....

Lynne said...

that's hillarious

Marci said...

I'm still laughing... still...
still...

That is hilarious. Only you could do that :)

Goddard's Gang said...

OH MY! OH MY! I am so sorry! That must have really smelled nasty!!! So here is the big question...Are you going to try again?

Life with boys... said...

tears...yes tears, I laughed so hard I was crying and snorting!(shh) That was awesome, the amazing part, I totally wasn't even expecting pictures, the description said it all! You so know you are making more, cause that game sounds...AWESOME!

Joy said...

That is an Easter memory that you won't forget to soon!! Russell and I had a good laugh over this one!! Maybe tomorrow will be a better day to boil eggs!!!

Robyn said...

funny! I hope that the next batch has a guard watching over the stove.

Holly said...

This too has happened at the Drowns home thanks to Dave, although we didn't have quite the mess that you did.....but we did have the smell!

bholtom said...

Hey, easy clean up for the hubbie, bring in some extinguishers and spray down the kitchen, your kids would think they'd died and gone to heaven, and it might also help with the smell....

Sean and Janet said...

That's awesome (the story, not the smell!)

Kimberleigh said...

This is hilarious! I bet it sucked to clean up, tho! You rock for sharing it!!

Robin and Don said...

Oh, my. Well, now many of us know. Thanks for the heads up. I almost laughed but don't dare because it sounds like something I will do in my lifetime. Now, do you have tips for getting that smell out of the house?

snakeriverwalton said...

good lesson and such a mess- glad it was your house.

DIAZ BLOG said...

Oh, that is bad! Sorry for the clean up!