Sunday, June 7, 2009

Bed Troubles

You know when your kids ask you for expensive things and you tell them maybe in a few years, and then a few days later you find them at a garage sale for $25.00 by accident and surprise them and they love it, but are a bit confused...and it's kinda sorta funny? Ya, me too.

A few months back I discussed with Mr. KIR that when it was time for Little Man to graduate from his toddler bed we should do some rearranging. I suggested maybe we should get us a new bed, give Pony Girl our queen and LM her twin. Then when guests come, they would have a nice comfy place to sleep. I did all this discussing in front of PG. Big mistake! Since then, she has asked and pestered, looked up beds on-line, and talked about "when" constantly. Last week I finally told her beds were expensive and to stop, we had decided to just get LM a twin and maybe in a few years we would get her a bigger bed. Discussion and bed search DONE!

So this weekend I found an awesome antique bed for Little Man. I brought it home, washed it up and set it up in his room. It turned out to be a double instead of a twin, so I gave it to PG. (Yes, I am that wonderful.) Even though we would have to buy a new mattress for it, she was excited!! And since I had sold LM's toddler bed at a garage sale the previous weekend, and he had been sleeping on the floor with his crib/toddler bed mattress all week, I promptly set up the new bed in PG's room and the twin in Little Man's. I did the whole, "LM look at your new bed, want to sleep on the big bed tonight...and for the rest of your 'at this house' life?" routine. I made a big deal about this and got rid of the toddler mattress. All with PG watching. She had been sleeping in her closet as she made it up to be a library and thought it was the best joint in the house, so I figured a few more days until I got to the mattress store would be no big deal. However, I forgot to mention this part to PG and suddenly she realized she was bed-less. The "library" didn't seem as cozy or exciting, and she asked to sleep with Little Man. She uncomfortably did this for two nights (Saturday and Sunday) and then came to me asking in a serious and concerned voice, "Mom, how much longer before you get me a mattress...like one or two years or something?"

I promptly told her "Yes" and walked away...

No, you sillies. I giggled, hugged her cute self, and told her we would buy it this week.

She promptly got on the computer and began looking for the perfect mattress...OH BROTHER!

3 comments:

Life with boys... said...

Gotta love the internet! I can't wait to see all of you, only two more months!!!

Robin and Don said...

I'm just going to say this, I love your kids stories. I'm not sure if it is funny because your telling the story or if your kids are funny. Probably a nice combo.

Alyson (New England Living) said...

I love being able to surprise them like that!

I've learned the lesson too that I should never, ever talk about any ideas I have in front of the kids, especially my oldest. Holy cow, they will take it and run with it!