Monday, August 3, 2009

Another Hole? really?

You may be asking yourself, “WHY is she sitting there, taking pictures no less, of Sweetums and Little Man digging ANOTHER hole?”

It’s a sad story really.

See, Pony Girl went to the local county fair.
That is not the sad part...hillbilly-ish yes, but not sad.

She paid $93.00 to play a throw the ping pong ball at three bowls with openings the size of quarters. And if said thrower is lucky enough to get a ball into the bowl, they are the proud winner of a 3 cent gold fish that has been floating helplessly in a ziplock bag of water for two days...most likely without food during said time.

And she won.
Also not the sad part..AMAZING, but not sad.

(That part happens to remind me of the time I gave her 50 cents at Walmart to get candy/junk from the quarter machines that are now 50 cent machines. She asked to play the machine you put your 50 cents into and maneuver a rigged claw to haphazardly grab at junky stuffed animal made in china. You know the "games" that really just get hopes up as the players watch it loosely grab the ear of the animal next to the one they wanted and then crush said hopes when the claw slips carelessly off the prized lost creature, causing tears of misery to said player and then in turn, annoyance to the mother who let them play it in the first place. I of course, gave her the gentle- but firm-talk about “rip offs” and “nothing for something” talk. I also mentioned that it was her choice but the 50 cents was the only money I was giving her. (I’m such a good parent that way.) She promptly ignored me and played anyway. She of course won.)

(Which then reminds me of the time I was a teenager on a road trip with my dad. He was lecturing me on the evils of the “nothing for something” lottery. So I bought a ticket just to tick him off -- and won. Ahhh, good times, good times.)


But I digress...

So, she won this poor little gold fish. She promptly named him Fuego and loved him with all her 9 year old heart–which if you aren’t sure what I am talking about, means : she started at promptly 10:00pm, (the second she walked in the door,) BEGGING whining-ly to keep him in his own private tank in her room because he is just so special. Then, when that didn’t work, she grumpily put him in the family tank and mooned over him until we, the parents of the house/fish tank, threatened to put Fuego in the ivory tank we own so he could rejoin Nemo - unless she got ready for bed immediately. She did... only to sneak out of her room 20 to 30 times that night just to get reminded of the ivory tank we own... (at which she promtly went a runnin’.) The following morning, she awoke rushing to Fuego’s watery home. The ohhhing and ahhhing, bragging, and making younger siblings all over the world cry over their lack of cheap fish ownership begin instantly.

That is not the sad part either..

This however is: He died.

Surprising–I know! I myself was shocked.
But not as shocked as Pony Girl. She was devastated. Oceans were cried. The drought was declared over and flood warnings were spread far and wide. Which in turn caused Sweetums to cry over Freddy, her beloved fish that died a good 9 months ago. Which then caused Little Man to cry because he has never owned a fish that could have died and could have given him the opportunity to cry over. Which then caused one mom to allow two children hole digging privileges.

The funeral was well attended and documented. Fuego was buried near his beloved cousin Freddy. (Well half of his cousin as when the mom of the house helped dig the hole she may have accidentily cut Freddy in half with the shovel...but that is neither here nor there.)



5 comments:

Sean and Janet said...

I am seriously laughing my head off right now! You tell these tales of childhood woe with such detail!
R.I.P. Fuego, may you swim the eternal seas above.

LOL

Marci said...

TOO FUNNY!!!! It was like I was there :)

Robin and Don said...

Did you mean .93 cents to play this game? Please don't tell me she paid $93.00 to play and win a dead fish. Because to me, THAT was the saddest part of the whole story. By the way, how much did you win in the lottery? Inquiring minds like mine want to know.

jackie said...

Robyn and all the inquiring minds out there--well, just the ones reading my blog:
I did not mean $.93. I really meant to type $93.00. However, if you know me at all...you know I WAS NOT exaggerating. She paid exactly $93.00 for the stupid game. Or maybe it was $2.00? But let's be honest--at the local hilly billy fair, $2.00 turns into $93.00 when you pay said $2.00 for three games a a piece for three kids, $5.00 a piece for three rides for three kids, and $300.00 for three dinners of elephant ears, corn dogs, and lemon shake-ups for three kids. Pennies really, it's all pennies.

jackie said...

Oh, and I paid $.50 for the lottery ticket and won $.50. Dad's anger--$480,000 worth.