Saturday, February 20, 2010

Good thing I'm not a doctor!

You've met our dog. Remember him here?


The poor thing has been a fantastic member of the family for almost 3 years now. Man we love that pooch. (And by "we" I mean the kids and I. Mr. KIR; not so much.) Momo never whines, snips, or whimpers no matter what the kids put him through. He just endures patiently and waits for the scratches, tugs of war and kisses that inevitably follow the attack.

So yesterday when I accidentally clipped the quick on his back nail, he did not even make a peep. Yep. I let him down and did not know it had happened until a MAJOR blood trail led strait from the utility sink to the doggy door. Huh. He came in and blood was EVERYWHERE! It was bleeding TONS! Is that normal? I cleaned the floor up and let it go. (I'm just a good owner that way.) About 2 minutes later, more blood. Okay, now it was buggin'. I picked up the pooch, wrapped his paw in toilet paper, and used duct tape to secure it. Whala! Nope. It fell off. (Surprising, I know.) He made a bee line for the doggy door and when he came in there was another trail of blood. I used more toilet paper. This time though...string! Yes, let's tie string as tight as we can to the poor dogs leg. Brilliant! Nope. He high tailed it outside and came in leaving another trail.

Let's try again. This time, let's wrap it and put Little Man's sock over it to keep it on. Ya, that will work...until I set him down. He went outside to escape me once again and came in trailing another mess. (Notice the trend? I am beginning to think if there wasn't 800 feet of snow on the deck he would have stayed outside.) Hmmm, More toilet paper...and band aids? Nope.

By this time it has been 50 minutes as I made Pony Girl hold him while I cleaned up the blood on the floor in between each doctoring-up attempt. Mr. KIR came in, saw the blood on the floor and said, "Ummm, call the vet."

Whuuut? He never says/wants us to do things like that!!

"Wait," he says. (Phew...I was beginning to worry?) "He'll just tell us to wrap it, I'll go get the proper stuff and be back. Just hold him off the floor."

AHHH--the floor--that's what he was worried about.

He left and I called my brother; because he's a vet a bazillion miles away and would be able to help more than our local vet down the street. He asked how long it had been bleeding. An hour. How far did I cut it? I don't know...too short obviously.

Hold the paw and apply pressure by pinching--hold right above the nail and as close to the end as you can on the pad side. Add a bit of corn starch to help coagulate the bleeding, and get it under control. Wrap it tightly with gauze all the way up his leg. Watch him.

Phew. Logic--Not toilet paper...that's the trick.

I grab Momo and rinse his blood soaked leg with warm water first. I then apply pressure with a clean rag and wait for it to slow down. I hold for about 10 minutes and then check. Huh. It has stopped. Not a drop of blood on the rag. Huh. Way to go Peedge. Shortly after, Mr. KIR arrives home with supplies and I let him in on the good news.

Death of a beloved pup averted.

Only late last night did I clue in to the miracle of my making.

Goof Ball! The dog was NOT bleeding for over an hour. He bled. It got all over his paw. He went outside. It got wet. He came in and made a mess. I freaked out--mauled him. He went outside. The paw got wet again and he made a mess....

As soon as I rinsed off the original blood....

3 comments:

Robin and Don said...

Well, I'm exhasted. I don't know how much that dog bled but I need more blood just thinking about it.

Life with boys... said...

Okay so in the beginning I sat here wondering if there was snow on the ground and why you hadn't called your bro.

Now I am just giggling!

DIAZ BLOG said...

Dang, do you clip your kids nails too??? Scary! Well anyway.....glad the littel thing was OK!